Thursday, June 20, 2013

Cuisine Couture Takes Kuwait: Why Eating Dessert is "Posh"


When I think of the word posh, my mind can’t help but revert to an image of Victoria Beckham: pursed lips, giant sunglasses, sky-high strappy heels. So when I heard the name “Posh Café,” I thought it must be an oxymoron- even if unintended. Victoria hardly seems like a person who would frequent a common café (or who eats much of anything for that matter.) Yet, I was told that the food was delicious and the desserts were decadent. Plus, the restaurant is owned by the same parent company that franchises Figs. Oxymoron or not, I knew I had to try it. I ventured over with a friend on my day off.

Our corporate chef is one of the coolest culinary anomalies ever. He heralds from Hong Kong and has the skill and palate for sophisticated Asian dishes. However, he spent significant time in England, which exposed him to European food styles. And now he works in Kuwait. He knows the Kuwait market intimately and the preparations that they favor. He takes fusion to a whole new level: weaving Asian touches into traditional Euro and American favorites, all while catering to the Middle Eastern clientele.

The first dish I tasted, “lobster toasts,” exemplifies his dexterity. The dish consisted of three fried mini sandwiches of sorts. The structure sort of resembled an oreo (albeit a gourmet, savory one.) Lobster meat flavored with chive, coriander, and other herbs sat between two quarter-sized discs of fried bread. Black and white sesame seeds studded the top layer. Thus, the dish brought together all of Andy’s cultural influences. The lobster seasonings and sesame seeds provided the subtle Asian flair. The small portion and sophisticated protein choice gave it the European touch. And the choice to fry it made it unequivocally Kuwaiti. (Here, the people eat everything fried!) I loved the dish. Not only did it tell Andy’s personal story in a single bite, but the flavors interacted perfectly. The herbs in the lobster played off of the richness from the fried preparation. Moreover, the sesame seeds provided an enjoyable crunch.

I also shared an order of sliders with my friend. We chose the barbequed sliders that promised to be slow cooked in a house-made barbeque sauce. Apparently, Andy has a touch for Southern cooking as well. The barbeque sauce rivaled some of the best briskets I’ve had in well-known BBQ joints.

The climax of the meal, however, was dessert. As a dessert enthusiast (and dare I say, connoisseur), I was permitted to taste a wide array of Posh’s sweet offerings. We began with Andy’s “signature:” cheesecake in a jar. Although moderately lactose-intolerant, I threw caution to the wind and decided a bite or two wouldn’t do irreversible damage. I am so glad I went for it!!! My friend and I agreed that it was UNBELIEVABLE. Many cheesecakes go overboard with the additions. By adding items like oreos, chocolate, or fruit, they mask the flavor of the cheese. This one did not. Sprinklings of graham cracker and fresh blueberries enhanced the rich notes of the cheese rather than covering it. And like the lobster toasts, the cheesecake was a study in texture. The graham cracker dusting on top lent crunch to the creamy layer of cheesecake below. The bite was harmonious and perfect.

My personal favorite of the day though was the strawberry short cake. It took the form of a layered cake: three layers of vanilla cake with frosting and fresh strawberries in between. The vanilla cake proved perfectly light and fluffy. The frosting, too, was airy; it seemed to wisp away in my mouth. The dessert reminded me of a classic vintage recipe; completely and perfectly old school, an homage to kitchens of the fifties.

And the fun didn’t end there! We tried a carrot cake that also had a vintage vibe. It had spices and raisins of more traditional carrot cake recipes rather than the overly sweet commercialized versions that are so prevalent today. My friend declared this dessert her favorite after the cheesecake and claimed the rest of the plate for herself. In addition, we tried a nutella mousse. While tasty and a beautiful presentation, the high amounts of dairy and cheesy consistency proved a bit much for me, as I’d already indulged in the cheesecake. Our final dish was a dreamy pecan pie. Unlike the other desserts, this one came warm. Usually I can pass on pecan pie because it seems as though the flavor in the pecan filling comes from artificial ingredients like sugar and sweeteners. This pie, however, relied on the pecans themselves. It was pure nutty goodness. The crust, too, was flawless. It was the perfect thickness: thick enough to compliment the robust pecans, but not so thick that it overpowered them. Plus, I like a crust that is just on the brink of burned, slightly crisp. This one achieved that effect.

I certainly took plenty of pictures that I plan to share with you! However, my browser is still set to Arabic and the uploads are extremely difficult. I’ll post them when I get the chance!

While stuffing one’s face with dessert might not be considered “posh,” I certainly enjoyed everything that Posh Café had to offer. From freshness to fusion, spicy to sweet, it will satisfy your every culinary craving.

No comments:

Post a Comment