Thursday, June 13, 2013

Cuisine Couture Takes Kuwait: On the Town with Lady B and Cuisine Couture


“Crashed on the floor when I moved in, this little bungalow with some strange new friends….” –Vanessa Carlton, White Houses

OK, so “strange” might not be the best word choice, but I didn’t write the song. Fascinating. Unique. Free-spirited. Welcoming. Any of those would be better choices to describe the group of Kuwaiti girls I now feel lucky to count among my friends. Initially I gravitated toward their affinity for life and generosity, but the more I learn about their worlds and who they are the more awestruck I become.

Last week, I had the chance to experience two events for bloggers with one of my friends. Although introduced to me as Bibi, I soon discovered that Kuwait knows Bibi by another moniker: Lady B. “Lady B” curates a multifaceted fashion and lifestyle blog. Her knowledge proves vast and dynamic, she reports on clothing collaborations, fashion happenings, and blog events. She styles her own outfits and posts her creations. She often transcends the world of fashion completely! For example, she features a place to get incredible dessert in a weekly “sugar fix.” Her website is alive and full-blown. She has advertisements, a store, and often receives invites to sought-after events. You can visit it here: http://www.ladybq8.net/

I had my first exposure to Kuwait’s blog culture a few weeks ago when Figs catered the party for social media personalities. The blog world here differs markedly from that in the United States. In both places, it seems that everyone is a “blogger.” After all, I got my start posting about personal cooking adventures, restaurants I visited, and wine I enjoyed. But there lies the difference. In the U.S., blogs are fundamentally a personal endeavor. While an individual’s blog may ultimately become famous or respected, it ultimately falls on the individual to find the scoop, go out to the restaurants, and take independent initiative. As a result, many blogs- or at least the respected ones- prove unbiased, based on personal discoveries and recommendations. Here, bloggers are wooed. Every business opening holds at least one event for bloggers. Food! Models! Glitz! The idea is that if the store shows them a great evening, they will secure a wonderful review.

Bloggers here can be full out pop culture celebrities, appearing on magazines, and being paid exorbetent amounts for appearances. As a whole, bloggers comprise a social group. The same faces frequent the events. Here, the goal is to operate as an elite team and to make sure you’re invited to the same events as the other bloggers are. In the U.S. many bloggers are anonymous. They try to seek out the undiscovered. Crossing paths with another blogger is a red flag; it means your scoop might not be fresh.

Lady B took me to two events which I enjoyed immensely. Both were designed exclusively for bloggers and we were on a guest list. The first was for the launch of L’Occitane’s new collection. There was a dazzling array of colorful macaroons, chicken shaped into portable cones, and skewers of tropical fruit. Workers in Parisian attire encouraged us to design our own scents and phtographers snapped promotional shots of the event. The second was located in Kuwait City, an opening of a boutique. Models walked around showing off the clothes. Again, a beautiful food and beverage spread greeted guests. It was an event fit for queens, which here bloggers practically are! I LOVED the collection: idiosyncratic, colorful, and indigenous to Kuwait.

I report this not to pass judgement on either blog culture. It is yet another interesting difference between parts of the world. I am continually fascinated by the subtle divergences I encounter with each passing day. Furthermore, I admire Lady B for her commitment to remaining unbiased despite the constant courtship. She told me stories of politely declining to write a review after an invitation because of a less than spectacular experience. In Kuwait, that can blacklist you from events and soil your reputation so the step was courageous.

And, I suppose this post is a bit ironic- akin to the movie Inception in a way. It’s a post on blogs within a blog . It’s one humble bloggers observations about bloggers. Take it as you will.

“Crashed on the floor when I moved in….”


No comments:

Post a Comment