Sunday, May 5, 2013

Cuisine Couture Kuwait: Social Networking


From the second a child enters the world, adults start to teach them one cardinal rule: Don’t talk to strangers. Well, when you uproot the life that you know and journey by yourself to a foreign country, you pretty much have to throw that adage out the window. By default, everyone is a “stranger” and if you want human interaction you have to talk to them.

I’ve been slowly acclimating to daily life in Kuwait: moving into an apartment, having a daily schedule at work, identifying major roads, and learning where things are. However, what has stood out as missing is a social life. If you’re reading this blog, you’re probably a friend of mine. So you know how deeply I cherish our friendship, how blessed I feel by your presence in my life, and how important the people in my life are to me. I miss you all. At the same time, if I am going to be here for a long time, I need to develop a comradery over here. In addition to offering a new culture and terrain, Kuwait has numerous people just waiting to be met. I just need to find them .

Before the American chef left three weeks ago, he graciously permitted me one epic freak out. We used to go for daily walks around the mall as a break, and on the day of his departure he sensed my high levels of anxiety. He gave me the entire hour to voice all of my concerns to him so that we could hash them out together and have him leave me in a place of confidence. My major concern came down to the social aspect of my existence here. I felt like I had left behind such amazing people at home and I knew that just a job here wouldn’t be enough for me. I needed friends; I needed Kuwait to be a place where I belonged. His advice proved interesting. He admitted that as he was only here for a short period of time, he hadn’t expended energy into meeting people. At the same time, he had observed Americans working at American chains such as Texas Roadhouse and Shake Shack. He told me to just start going around the mall, observing who was where and introducing myself. Sometimes human nature gets a bad rap, but he told me to have faith in the people around me and to know that most people here are in similar situations.

While lurking in restaurant doorways and approaching strangers might sound creepy, I set to work on his suggestion the very next day. I paid visits to Texas Roadhouse and Cheescake Factory and surprisingly found a wonderful assortment of characters. I suddenly had contacts in my phone and people who would wave to me when they saw me pass by in the mall.

Those contacts then seemed to give birth to a multitude. One man from the Roadhouse put me in touch with a woman from the American embassy, and before I knew it I had scored a somewhat exclusive invite to an embassy gathering. That was a week ago. While the event was exciting because American soil offers certain pleasures from home not readily available in a traditional country I loved it because of the people I met. It felt like home: families playing, American colloquialisms, people who knew cities I did. My social circle grew in three small hours and over the next week I met up with two people I’d met there. I even got to return this past Thursday. And when I walked in, I had people to meet up and laugh with.

I’ve also started using Figs as a place to meet people. While it might seem forward for a host to ask people where they are from or what brings them to Kuwait, I have been met with nothing but hospitality. One such encounter yesterday brought me in contact with a couple from California. They gave me information on their running group- mostly Americans- who meet Saturday mornings to run along the seaside. They invited me to start joining them. This morning I found myself lacing up my sneakers and going to meet up with 20 people for a 5k along the marina. Ironically, the couple I met couldn’t make it, but there were 20 other kind people ready to embrace me in their stead. I had a wonderful time and now have another weekly activity to look forward to.

And of course, there’s Jumanah, my friend from the airport. When my flight to Kuwait was cancelled and another one wasn’t scheduled until the following night, I noticed a girl at the counter, about my age, looking calm, cool, and collected. I gradually approached and listened to the conversation; in straightforward syllables she was calmly changing her ticket to one on Qatari airlines. She explained to me that this had happened to her before, there was another flight to Kuwait on Qatari, and United could switch our tickets complimentarily. Before I knew it, I was sitting on a flight to Kuwait chatting away with her. Not only had she gotten us on the other plane, but some sweet talk had gotten us seats together with an extra one in between us for our stuff! She told me all about Kuwait, herself, and what to expect when I landed. We disembarked together, exchanging contact information in the process. We’ve seen each other regularly since then. She took me to the market one day and we’ll do brunch tomorrow.

She also came to see me at Figs which afforded me the opportunity to meet one of her close friends- Bibi. Bibi works at Cos, a clothing store below Figs, so I started visiting her daily. Bibi took me to the local aquarium one evening as well as a Lebanese restaurant on the beachside for dinner. She, too, broadened my circle of friends, introducing me to Anfal. On the day we went to the aquarium, Bibi had to work until 6pm. She knew Anfal went to a local pool and texted me her number so that I could be in touch with her. Writing this now, it seems strange that I called someone I didn’t know on a whim. And a day later she was on her way to my apartment and I was climbing into a car with someone I’d never seen or met before to go to a pool. But Anfal was awesome and we had a day of sun, tanning, and girl talk. She brought along her friend, Mimi, so I ended my day with two new friends that are truly awesome, fun people.

And, ironically, I still feel connected to all of you at home. In many ways, I feel as if the distance has brought us closer. I feel closer to you and more honest with you when I sit down to write these blog entries. I have learned not to take communication for granted as well; every minute I spend talking to someone is precious and I don't want to waste a single word.

So, kids, talk to strangers. I’m not advocating approaching sketchy men on the street or walking down dark alleys at night in search of people. What I am suggesting is that you keep your eyes and ears open to the people around you. The world not only has opportunities to see new places and have new experiences, but to meet incredible individuals. I came here to learn about food and experience a new landscape. I’m finding a far richer experience than I ever imagined though because of the people I’ve encountered along the way.

1 comment:

  1. Well, Hello there !
    I'll make sure to make you feel welcomed around here !

    ReplyDelete